Saliva is necessary to moisten and cleanse the mouth by neutralizing acids produced by plaque and washing away dead cells that accumulate on the tongue, gums, and cheeks. If these aren't removed, the cells decompose and can cause bad breath.
While dry mouth, which is often a cause of bad breath, can be permanent or even progressive, there are management and relief options available to those who suffer. These options involve the use of either saliva substitutes and/or saliva stimulants.
Saliva substitutes include water, artificial saliva, or other substances, such as milk or vegetable oil. Saliva stimulants include sugar-free gum or mints, parasympathomimetic drugs, or other substances such as those included in OraCoat® XyliMelts ®
Underlying Causes of Dry Mouth and/or Bad Breath
There are several causes of dry mouth and bad breath including, but not limited to:
- Daily use of medications that cause dry mouth
- Cancer treatment
- Poor dental health
- Illness, disease and their associated medications
- Infections of the mouth and respiratory system
- External agents, such as food or tobacco
As mentioned above, one of the most common causes of dry mouth and bad breath may be a side effect of taking medication for a variety of conditions. In fact, dry mouth is listed as a side effect for over 1,800 drugs that are used to treat conditions such as:
- Allergies (antihistamines and decongestants)
- Urinary Incontinence
- Parkinson’s Disease
Dry mouth can also be a side effect for many other illnesses and diseases including:
- Chronic Sinus Infections
- Postnasal Drip
- Acid Reflux
- Liver or Kidney Problems
While there are some causes of dry mouth that can be avoided, such as tobacco, food, poor dental hygiene, etc., many other conditions and medications cause dry mouth as a side effect, which cannot be prevented. To help ward off bad breath and dry mouth as a side effect, the quickest and easiest form of treatment is to increase saliva flow through the use of XyliMelts for Dry Mouth.
Treatment of Dry Mouth and Bad Breath
Treatment for dry mouth not only increases the amount of saliva produced, but, in most cases, also takes care of its accompanying symptom, bad breath.
XyliMelts help alleviate both dry mouth and bad breath symptoms. XyliMelts not only help increase saliva and freshen breath, but also last for hours, working to moisturize and coat the mouth for optimal comfort.
While XyliMelts won’t cure dry mouth or bad breath, the products can be used in combination with other dental practices to provide additional relief. These include:
- Brushing and flossing regularly – including brushing your tongue – to rid the mouth of dead mouth-lining cells, extra food particles, and bacteria
- Visiting the dentist regularly to ensure dentures or braces are properly fitted and cleaned
- Quitting smoking or using chewing tobacco
- Natural remedies, such as chewing mint or parsley
- Keeping the mouth moist by drinking water or chewing sugarless gum or sugar-free hard candy to stimulate the production of saliva